In an earlier post I described a motorcycle accident that left me with a broken ankle and my 2008 Bonneville in need of some repairs. Once I settled with my insurance company (Progressive.. you know, Flo!), I had some choices as to how I wild spend that money.

One of the things I decided to do was to salvage many of the parts that I could, and use the extra money to purchase some upgrades for the bike.

One item is the stock gear shift lever. In the accident, the shift pin and rubber was broken off, and a bit of the side of the lever scraped up.


Accident damaged gear shift lever.

I was able to remove the lever, and grind/polish/buff the damaged area out with a hand grinder tool. I ordered a new pin and rubber from Bike Bandit.


I ordered the Pin and Rubber from Bike Bandit. The rest is in tact.


View 1 – Gear shift lever after some grinding and buffing.


View 2 – Gear shift lever after some grinding and buffing.

Next, I plan to drill holes in the lever then paint or coat the lever to make it satin black like the fenders, side panels and other aftermarket parts I am integrating on the Bonnie.

December 27, 2013 Update

Yesterday I visited Harbor Freight Tools and purchased a bench top drill press and some drill bits of various sizes. Today I set it up in my basement shop and used it to drill my gear shift lever.

First,  I needed to get the broken piece of the foot peg out of the the gearshift lever. I drilled a small hole in the center of the broken piece, and used an easy-out (screw extractor) bit to reverse the broken piece out of the lever.


Easy-Out bit close up


Reversing out the broken pin with a hand drill and easy-out bit.


Former gear shift pin showing where it sheared off in the accident, and showing the piece left in the lever I just removed.

Once this was out, I was able to pre fit my new Pin and rubber that also arrived from Bike Bandit today!


Gear shift lever ready for new pin and rubber.

Next, I wanted to get going on my custom modification. I measured and marked where I wanted to drill the holes in the gearshift lever. Starting with a small bit size, I drilled pilot holes for the 4 positions I had marked.

After confirming these were well spaced, I went ahead and drilled each out to the final size, and used a counter-sink to finish the edges to a nice bevel.


Gear shift lever with rough holes drilled.


Gear shift lever showing holes counter sunk and polished, ready for paint/coating.