When I removed my Joker Machine ignition relocation kit yesterday, I noticed when I inspected the wiring harness that some of the wires were cracking, probably from the motion of bending whenever I turned left or right.
Instead of ordering a new ignition switch with new wires (only way to replace the wires) for about $188 plus shipping, I decided to see if I could repair the original wires and make it last some years longer. So, I removed the wiring harness from the switch and proceeded with the following repair.
I had previously purchased a bottle of Liquid Tape electrical insulation made by Performix. I started applying thin layers of this product to the cracked wires.
I continued to add thin layers to the wires, keeping them spread apart so each wire was fully and independently covered.
I plan to wrap these wires in a new rubber/plastic sheath and tape it up with high quality electrical tape before installing back on the Bonneville. I’ll update this post when I get that completed.
March 16, 2014 Update
I have completed coating the ignition harness and putting it all back together for installation in my new instrument panel. This product seems to work pretty well. Time will tell!