This summer (2012) I knew I would be passing 24,000 miles on my 2008 Bonneville. This mileage interval requires a more major number of factory recommended maintenance items. If you have a Haynes Service & Repair Manual, it lists the recommended maintenance items.
Here is a PDF file listing those recommended items.
Here’s what I’ve done so far this summer (2012):
- Changed oil and oil filter – Spectro/K&N
- New throttle cable and adjustment (went with Speigler replacement stainless steel one)
- Check fuel system and hoses for leaks and condition – nothing required
- New K&N air cleaners
- Check carburetor balance – good
- New spark plugs – NGK-Iridium
- Inspect for wear and damage – looks good
- Replace inner tubes – valves were showing signs of rust
- Check and adjust tire pressure
Steering and Suspension
- Check for free operation – good
- Check forks for leaks – good
- Check headstock bearings – good
- Renew fork oil – have yet to do this
- Check brake fluid levels – good
- Check brake pads for wear – good
- Check brake calipers for leaks/seized pistons – good
- Check master cylinders for leaks – good.
- Check lights instruments and electrical system – good
- Replace drive chain – D.I.D. O-Ring, heavy duty – just completed last night!
- Replace worn sprockets – New rear sprocket coming within days. Front is OK.
- Clutch cable – replace and adjust
- Valve clearances and adjust – all were off factory spec’s!
- Inspect fasteners for security – done
- Road test – done
Additional Operations – Every 2 years
- Renew brake fluid – done